× Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Graduate 2100

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #116 by Scott
Scott created the topic: Graduate 2100
Hi to all, judging by the dates of other posts no one will probably read this. Stacey and I put our Grad together and raced last weekend however we could not anywhere near match our handicap being soundly beaten by all the Solos and Streakers all of which were FRP construction so not surprising. Is there a different PY rating for the older wooden boats. I know I can improve my own sailing and improve the boat tuning but doubt we will ever be competitive. My apologies, we are at Elton SC in Bury Lancs. Hope to get up to Bolton to try and see some of the Grad regulars up there. Best Regards to all.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #117 by RogerC
RogerC replied the topic: Graduate 2100
Hi Scott
Congratulations on getting your Grad on the water. Do you have one of the new larger Mainsails? This is essential to be competitive. The Grad generally struggles to keep up with the Solos in stronger winds but can beat them easily in the lighter stuff particularly if there is a decent beat. I am afraid there is no official alternative PY for older boats but you try twisting the arm of the sailing committee.
Cheers
Roger

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #118 by Scott
Scott replied the topic: Graduate 2100
Thanks Roger for your encouragement, we purchased a second Grad 2392 which is a GRP composite. It has a new design sail but I think it is a lesser copy it does not shape correctly. I tried both to loose tie the tack to the mast plus solid fix to the boom and the clew to the outhaul on the boom but can not get a good sail shape. I think loose tack gave a better shape, I have looked at the tuning tips and will try and set the mast. I would really like to get either boat going well just to stop the banter from the new boats.
Regards, Scott

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #119 by RogerC
RogerC replied the topic: Graduate 2100
Hi Scott
Definately tie the tack to the mast. I am not very good at advising on how to get the best shape out of the sail. What make is it ?
Roger

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #120 by Scott
Scott replied the topic: Graduate 2100
Thanks Roger, I don't know the sail make will take a look though. I need to check all the basics out first then look at starting to play with the tuning. Its that old story of time. Spent most of this weekend taking boats and kids to NW junior travellers, had a great time doing it though so cant complain. Cheers, Scott

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #121 by Stewart
Stewart replied the topic: Graduate 2100
Welcome to the class. A question about your rig-does it have spreaders on the mast? It probably didn't when it was new, and it will need all the support it can get with the big main.

Graduate 2880 "Stinger"

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds